Please read this December City of Newark update.
Update on the City Manager Search
At the November 12th meeting, City Council invited acting city manager Tom Coleman to participate in the public portion of the City Manager search process that had been utilized during the recruitment process earlier this year.
Below is the proposed schedule with a public engagement opportunity noted in bold:
- December 3 – Presentation and structured interview with Department Heads; the presentation will be recorded and posted on the website for public viewing. Feedback will be requested by staff to be submitted to GovHR by noon on December 4, to be compiled and provided to Council.
- December 3, at 7 p.m. – Public question and answer session, which will be livestreamed, with meet and greet event with the public to follow. Feedback will be requested to be submitted to GovHR by noon on December 4, to be compiled and provided to Council.
- December 4, at 5 p.m. – Council meeting in executive session with GovHR to discuss feedback and next steps. Potential motions will be advertised, as needed.
Please note: the department head event is not a public event. Any votes on December 4th will be made in public session. More information on the City Manager search is available online.
Update on 1501 Casho Mill Rd Development Project
On November 14th the owner of 1501 Casho Mill Rd and a representative from Duffield Associates held a Community Info Sessions about the proposes project. As presented, the plan will require a parking variance, but it appears that no other variances will be required. Below are images of the rendered Site Plan and Building Elevations that were shared during the presentation.
The next steps by the developer will be to formalize and finalize their working Preliminary Plan and Entrance Plans for submission to the City and to DelDOT. I will keep you notified with any updates.
The submitted sketch plan can be found at this link: https://newarkde.gov/DocumentCenter/View/9808/1501-Casho-Mill-Rd—Sketch-Plan-Submitted-11-23-2017
As well as the Sub-division Advisor Committee review letter: https://newarkde.gov/DocumentCenter/View/9979/1501-Casho-Mill-Rd—SAC-letter-01-18-2018
FYI Noise Ordinance Waiver Work Along Devon Dr.
There will be work done along Devon Dr. to line corrugated metal pipes between November 17 and December 15. A noise ordinance waiver has been issued to allow work to be completed on weekend days between the hours of 7 am – 7 pm. The city will be notifying residents 48 hours before work commences.
City Collecting Goods to Benefit Food Bank of Delaware and Toys for Tots
The City of Newark will once again serve as a collection site for the Food Bank of Delaware and Toys for Tots this holiday season. Beginning Monday, November 5, barrels will be located in the lobby of the municipal building to collect food and goods for families to use through the holiday season. The most needed food items include: canned fruits, hot & cold cereal, canned meat, peanut butter, grains, canned & dried beans, canned vegetables, 100% fruit/vegetable juice and healthy snacks.
Upcoming Meetings and Events
- December 1 – Snack with Santa & Santa’s Secret Shoppe – 9:30 a.m. at the George Wilson Center
- December 4, 2018, 7:00 PM @ Council Chamber – Planning Commission Meeting
- December 10, 2018, 7:00 PM @ Council Chambers – City Council Meeting
- December 11, 2018, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM @ Council Chambers – Conservation Advisory Commission Meeting
Did You Know? City of Newark Tips
The InformMe Citizen Notification System now allows users the option to receive an audio version of the Newark News Brief sent over the phone. You can sign-up or modify your InformMe options at newarkde.gov/informme.
The Leaf Collection Program will continue through Friday, December 28, 2018. All leaves must be raked to the grassy plot between the curb and the sidewalk by Friday, December 21.